What do You Know about Fleas?
- Fleas are insects that, like butterflies and moths, go through 4 stages of life-egg, larva, pupa, adult. Each stage looks totally different from the others.
- Adult fleas live on your pet. They feed by biting with their tube-like mouths and sucking blood. Spines and claws help them stay on your pet. They will not leave the animal if they can help it. Females lay 20 eggs a day while on your pet. The eggs drop to the floor below.
- Flea eggs and larvae (young) live in the carpet, on furniture, or in pet bedding. The eggs hatch into larvae, legless and blind, and looking like small white worms. The larvae burrow down into carpets where they feed on dried blood dropping from the animal above. They do not bite.
- Fleas never take a vacation! If you leave for vacation, and your pets are no longer in your house, flea larvae are still developing into pupae (the resting stage), and then into adult fleas in your carpet and furniture. When you return, you and your pets may be attacked by hungry hordes of fleas!
- Pets can pick up new fleas outdoors. Other pets and wild animals visiting your yard can leave behind fleas that jump onto your pets.
Fleas are everywhere, they can drive you and your pets up a wall and pose serious health risks, for professional help contact Vulcan Pest Control.